Thursday, September 3, 2009

Reflections on my first NCSU Game...



Since I'm waiting on K and don't want to start anything...decided to do a reflective post.

Way back in 1998, I went to my very first football game @ Carter-Finley Stadium. It was sophomore year & I'd finally made friends (truth be told, made them around the end of the first semester of college), joined a couple of clubs, and finally felt "at home" at NC State.

Back then, Frats/Clubs could do "Block Seating" --- you'd sign up on a list with your Student ID# and somehow (this was before I became super involved in everything and just went with the flow) you'd magically get a ticket. So, I signed up with our version of Block & Bridle for tickets. I love sports, and my mother was BEYOND thrilled I was going to a football game...

So, Mother decided to tell me what I should wear to a game -- based on her own 1960-something experience at a VPI (that's Virginia Tech for most of y'all). She coaches me on what to wear to "fit in"...

True story -- after spending about an hour doing hair and make-up, I show up at the designated meeting location in a black skirt, white oxford shirt and heels to ride on the back of an old Chevy to the game. People looked at me weird --real weird....I was so embarrassed!! But, since I didn't really know these people, I turtle-shelled it (I was also extremely shy for the first couple years of my college experience), sucked it up and walked from the Vet School to the Stadium and all the way up to nearly the top row and had a blast. Needless to say (which is just as embarrassing NOW) the remainder of the games I went to that year I either rocked out a pair of Pointer overalls or Wranglers with my Justin Ropers.

Tonight, I'm wearing ....

with my tennis shoes -- we're walking a long ways and I do not want to risk wearing cute shoes and messing my back up again!





2 comments:

  1. That was a long haul in an oxford, skirt and heels. I've been to CFS twice I do believe. First time, I wore burgundy for FSU and second time, I went to the Carolina game in 2001. Decided after that trip I wouldn't go back and you can probably guess why. Seriously though, have a great time tonight rockin' that comfy but cute outfit. I'll be watching from the comforts of my sofa! Football season is here!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how excited you are....I can tell just by your Tweets! I hope you are feeling much better tonight and I hope you have a FANTASTIC time!

    {{HUGS}}

    Robin :o)

    ReplyDelete

Y'all are the best! If you'd like, leave me a little love below.