Thursday, August 6, 2009

Catching Up

Yes, I know that K-dawg and I have a home here…..

Yes, I know that at the end of the day, here is where I want to be….

But, why do I still think of that little part of the Blue Ridge Mountains as HOME?


This weekend was a very nice, all be it quick, trip to the place I was born. We stayed Friday night at Mom’s house in Greensboro, and it was wonderful to be able to break the trip up into pieces! Muppy Dawg stayed at Camp G’ma & G’pa (we’re so blessed to have them live near!) and was spoiled rotten by the time we picked her back up on Sunday.


The first weekend in August is always special in my home community, it’s Decoration Weekend! Now, I know y’all have probably never heard of such, but it is a HUGE deal. It’s at the church three quarters of a mile from the house I grew up in (Grandma and Grandpa’s farm is a half mile down the road on the other side); it’s the church we attended in high school and college; it’s the church where most of my relatives (back many many greats) are buried. I wish I had thought to take a picture of the view from the graveyard – the views are breathtaking!


Growing up, the week leading up to Decoration was spent cleaning house in prep for company, getting all the yardwork done to perfection, the whole community was spiffied up just for the weekend. Then, everyone would go wash graves of loved ones passed and put out flowers. Not silk flowers, but flowers everyone would plan their gardens around how to get blooms the first weekend in August. Then, all the graves of everyone (including the people who came from Scotland and started the community) would be covered in flowers. I hate I have no pictures from Decorations growing up; it really was something spectacular. It's our way of paying honor to the memory of those at rest on the side of the mountain.


I made Daddy's saddle this year -- I waited too late to get flowers and could only find autumn stems...


And, I did fresh white spider mums with pink grosgrain bows on Daddy's parents, my Grandma and Grandpa Great, my Great Aunt Dot & Uncle Phillip and my Great Uncle Buster. I could fill volumes with stories about each of these folks; to say they are special to me would be an understatement. K only had the opportunity to meet my Uncle Buster, the rest were passed way before he came into the picture.


And...I'm telling you...Decoration brings out people you ain't seen in years! I did bump into my friend ME and her husband. And after an awkward hug and a few hellos, I left with an odd feeling. It's strange how time changes a friendship. But, I know she's my *crisis* friend - she's a rock during tough times. And, while I miss the closeness of what we had, I know that if I needed her she'd be there in a heartbeat.


The best part of the trip home was sitting on Grandma and Grandpa's front porch and watching thunderstorms follow the ridges and river. We talked and visited and had us a good ol' time. If I had ruby red shoes that would only magically get me to one destination, that would be where I'd go! The constant gentle breeze and easy conversation have made for a zillion memories over the years.


from earlier this summer when the rhododendron was in bloom



~~~~


And, to wrap things up... to God be the Glory! This last injection seems to be working very well. In PT I'm actually moving and working on restrengthening everything. I'm well on my way to being all better! Just have to make sure to not over do it now that I'm feeling some better!


Hope all is well in your neck of the woods, thanks for dropping by!

6 comments:

  1. You have described things so beautifully...I almost feel like I was there! (I can't see your pictures, though...for some reason). I'm glad your back is better!!

    {{HUGS}}

    Robin :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bummer! We can't see the pictures but I loved your descriptions esp. seeing the storms across the ridges. I'm def. more of a beach girl but I do enjoy and appreciate the beauty of the mountains.

    Glad you are feeling much better! Let's pray it stays that way.

    PS I don't think I've ever told you but I love the name Muppy Dawg...just do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you are feeling better! Hope you will re-post the pics...would love to see. Your hometown tradition sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything sounds so beautiful! I love the mountains. There is just something so peaceful about them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stop by my blog and pick up the award I have for you.

    ReplyDelete

Y'all are the best! If you'd like, leave me a little love below.