Cows...such wonderful critters! Ask anyone who knows me, and you'll find out how much I love cows (especially the ol' milking breed known as Holstein).Cows have played a major role in my life -- when we were younger, we'd help the grandpeeps on their dairy farm. We called it helping, truthfully, it was more playing than anything. Oh the memories of bottle feeding the little calves & laying a cheek against the warmness of the jug holding fresh milk in the milking room. And the fun known as cleaning the barn!!
K - enough reminiscing... the point is I love cows. Fast-forward to sophomore year at NC State. I was majoring in biology until I made some friends who were in Animal Science. And, hearing they got to play with cows...I had to change majors!! It was a way to connect back to my *roots* ...plus, I could get my BS degree AND play with cows. How cool does that sound!?! (Honestly, looking back, it was probably a dumb move...but when my goal was to either be an Extension Agent or a farmer's wife, it sounded REAL good to me!)
I met tons of really awesome people through my major in Animal Science. Hardly ever use my degree now, except with a couple of work projects and identifying animal breeds for people. There is a lot of scientific knowledge that goes with animal production - it ain't just a bunch of dumb farmers trying to make a little money --it's so much more than that! *steps off soapbox*
Anywhos...each Spring, we had a special day where we did livestock shows and had a BBQ. Sophomore year, I was helping wash the dairy cows. Yes, you make cows beautimous before you show them - there is a definate art to the whole process. Well, I was in charge of washing this one huzzy of a heifer and she kicked me sqare in the mouth. Cracked my front two bottom teeth (which ended up having caps) and I was told that I'd probably have problems with the teeth around that area....
Well...sure enough.....
My dentist would like to think you Huzzy of a Heifer. You gave him good business today with the abcessed tooth and root canal he had to preform today. AND -- the new dentist in the office did my proceedures today. Can you imagine the look on a city-boy doctor's face when a city-slicker (from all outward apperances) tells him and I quote..."It's the tooth just to the right of the two the cow kicked out when I was in college." A preppy bumpkin moment for sure!!
edit: I did see the doctor yesterday from my MRI last week -- I have two massive bulging disks that are putting extreme pressure on my spinal nerve colum. I'm now back in the waiting game for an epidural steroid treatment in the next week or so....thanks for your prayers! Please keep them coming...because, if the injection doesn't work, it's a small surgery to relieve the pressure off my spinal cord (and I really really really really times a zillion don't want to have surgery

I LOVE cows too! I collect cow things and am obsessed it really bothers some of my friends.
ReplyDeleteI never would have pictured you as a "cow" girl...pun intended! LOL! That is so cool!!
ReplyDeleteI pray that your disc problems are easily (and non-surgically) resolved!
{{HUGS}}
Robin :o)
We had a cow house in college ... it was down the street from our house ... Random ... but it was painted like a cow! It was so cute! :)
ReplyDeleteOkay ... my word verification word is milka. Go figure. Ahhh ... I love laughing!
Ouch.....it all sounds painful to me (having a cow kick out your teeth, root canal and your disc issue). Did you take any poultry science classes with Parkhurst? I wonder if he's still there. He was a great professor and though I never planned on learning anything about chickens, etc., I really found it to be interesting.
ReplyDeleteYa gotta respect the cow, humble creature though it is. Without it, just imagine what the world would be like.
ReplyDeleteHope you get the toothe, disc, and any other problem you may have resolved soon.
WOW!
ReplyDeleteI just said a prayer for you dear one.
I also came by to tell you I was having a giveaway at my FIT blog.
Blessings.
Okay - I cannot lie. I am scared to death of cows.
ReplyDelete*Shutter*
-E