Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Amazing Grace!



If y'all haven't seen this commercial for the Salvation Army, it's GREAT. Each time I see it, it reminds me of just how Amazing God's love is and how much his GRACE means to me (and, I tear up every time I hear "Amazing Grace") I've been there...I've struggled with unfounded prejudices (He opened my heart). I've been Lost (and He showed me the path to something better). I've been Sad (still am at times...but I have Hope).

Not only that, no matter what we've done in our lives (and let's be honest -- I don't know of a soul who hasn't done something they are ashamed of, myself included) He's there to love and forgive us. If I'm honest, I'll admit that I'm guilty of neglecting my important relationship with my Savior. Life hums along and I forget to be thankful, forget to give praise, forget to be the daughter Christ calls me to be. Then, something happens and the brakes of life are slammed and things go crazy. And, each and every time, He's there, with arms wide open, to welcome me back. And, He doesn't love me any more or less based on my actions; He just wants me. Broken, scared, scarred, sinner me. He wants to have a deep relationship with each of us. Yes, it's easy to think we can coast along, doing alright, all on our own. But, we can't - we're not designed that way.

Growing up, we went to church. Happy memories of VBS, Sunday School, great mentors, and great family members formed the cornerstones of my faith. Then, came college....and I thought that accepting Christ as my Savior and believing was enough. Sleeping in on Sundays (usually after a sinful Saturday night) became the norm. I made friends with lots of people who are Christians -- but those relationships were not always centered on the right things. I thought the Bible Study I lead with the girls in my sorority was *enough* for my spiritual life...there was a hunger in my life for something deeper, and I filled it with the WRONG things.

This sinner's look at 30 tells me that my faith is about more than just believing. It's about nurturing a relationship and growing closer to God. It's about learning to listen to His words in the quite moments, learning more about Him and how He works, and about having a spiritual network (founded on the right things) that encourages you in all aspects of your life.

Does this mean I never slip? Nope. I do each day....in one way or another. Does this mean that me and all my friends share the same faith...Nope. Does this mean challenges never come along...Nope. Does this mean I never have a sad or depressing day...Nope. One of the biggest things I struggle with is sharing my faith with others...this is my attempt to do so in a non-confrontational way ('cause y'all...I HATE confrontations!)

It's AMAZING to think about how much God loves you (no matter where you are on your journey)...
It's GRACE that makes it possible...
and above all,
Life is Good, because God is GREAT!

Even (no- especially) in the difficult times. And, there are a lot of things I'm struggling with right now that I'm not really comfortable putting words to in my own head (they're coming out as fragmented prayers and cries)--much less in writing or sharing with others. But, I do believe in the power of prayer, and I know it'll all work out for His glory. I'll close with one of my absolutely favorite scriptures...

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11



5 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing and I, too, love that commerical. It makes me just want to start singing Amazing Grace. I will pray for you and whatever struggles you are facing...God knows them all. One of my favorite verses too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading your blog was the story of my life. My wondering far from God, and the long journey back. Praise Him that He was there waiting for me. I love Him and Praise Him for all the wonderful things He has done in and for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you have the most amazing faith and thank you for sharing. I'm struggling with mine right now. I hope one day I can be on the right path again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Had not seen this before..wish we'd see more stuff like this on tv...thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Y'all are the best! If you'd like, leave me a little love below.