Daddy's little Darlin' 1-2-3...."
~my daddy
It's been 8 years...and it doesn't get easier...it hurts differently as time goes by. You've missed a lot in such a short period of time...Laura and I both graduated college, started careers, met the most perfect men for us (did you have something to do with that?) and learned to lean on each other (you always told us that one day, you'd be gone and we'd only have each other).When I graduated (finally) from college, I wore your boots. It had only been a year since you'd gone and I wanted you there with me. Momma won the fight about me wearing them when I got married (it was the closest thing I had to you walking me down the aisle), so I tied one of your bandannas to my bouquet instead. Uncle Dean gave me away....how I wish it had been you!
It breaks my heart to admit I've forgotten the sound of your voice...but I often see someone wearing your signature *blue* uniform and my heart aches. Sometimes I smell you in a crowd. Two years ago we sold the house....and I admit I don't always look at the house on the hill going from Grandma's to Church. A quick glance is all I can take -- its just a house and not a home without you or Ginger there.
Speaking of Ginger, she was loyal to you until the end....she kept waiting for you to come home. Bob had to put her down a couple weeks before we closed on the house. She never left or ran off. Not many dogs would do that.
I know there will be a zillion more things I wish I could share with you -- and a zillion more times I'll wish you were here. But, I know your pain was awful and it'd be selfish to wish you back....but, I'll always love you.
~me

What a wonderful tribute to your Dad. He was truly blessed with such a loving daughter.
ReplyDeleteWhat a sweet tribute. I lost my daddy in 1981, before I was done with college and married also. It's funny that you mention the sound of his voice. I've forgotten that about my daddy too.
ReplyDeleteWhat a sweet post-I have chill bumps and tears in my eyes after reading that. I can't imagine the pain you must feel on a daily basis from the loss of your dad- I don't know how I'd cope if faced with the same situation.
ReplyDeleteYou know. Just on my way to work this morning, I thought to myself - I wonder what Preppy Bumpkin is up to...
ReplyDeleteThis post brought tears to my eyes.
I had just said to a friend last night - "I bet they're all having one crazy party up there in Heaven. Can you imagine?"
One day, we'll all be together again...
-E
What a sweet tribute to your dad! My dad was just diagnosed with colon cancer for the second time. They tell us they caught it early,so we are hoping and praying he will do well!
ReplyDeleteI've been awful about replying to comments!!! Sorry!!
ReplyDeleteIda -- thanks, he made me the lady I am today
Belle -- my heart goes out to you for our special bond.
USCEmily -- It's not easy, but you survive. Love on your Daddy!!
Prep-E -- You are so sweet...I bet they are having a grand ol' time and one day we'll join them!
Our Really Empty Nest -- Hello new friend! I'm so sorry to hear about your Daddy...sending prayers and positive vibes your way!
what a touching post. i'm speechless.
ReplyDelete