Hey Y'all!
Thursday night was super busy (and yesterday I crashed when I got in from work...one of *those* awful days!) between WW, helping Hubby K decorate his office, and the Junior League Spring Project meeting.
WW report: Down 0.4 lbs (I didn't track most of the week...tells me the importance of that!)
Hubby-K: He received a sweet promotion into management before Christmas (which is what he's always wanted to do). So, a few weeks ago he moved into his new office. To decorate, he's taken most of the Belltower pictures (like 6 of them-- we're obsessed), the Farm Bureau poster w/ Mr & Mrs. Wuf (the cutest couple in college sports!), the monster game-day picture from Carter Finley (which, we're in!), and several other NC State pictures. He has tons of wall space in the new office, so he did this super cool gallery wall. So, not only is he surrounded by his favorite things at work, between the pictures and other assorted NC State stuff he took, it's SLOWLY cleaning out the downstairs room that's to become our bedroom.
Junior League: So, I'm saving the best for last. Really. This is classic. My Color group is GREAT and full of wonderful, NORMAL ladies. They are even downright nice and lovely! I'm still trying to get my head around all that transpired Thursday night. I don't always do good meeting new people, it takes me a bit to warm up and start talking...until then, I'm just all smiles. So, I don't *think* I look mean, or hateful or anything. I was so worried about this meeting I went by SteinMart to get a new pair of jeans (a pair of Sevens - in a size 14....this makes me happy!!) and a haircut (at one of those $17 for a cut & wash places -- first time in 3 years that my boy Drew hasn't done my hair. Boy Drew may get his own post later. He's LOVE).
So, I sport my new jeans, a white button up shirt, a cute pair of brown flats and a green necklace....even put on makeup, which I seldom do (because I have no idea how to do it - what looks good, etc. Some things you miss when you're raised without a Momma). The girls at WW told me how good I looked, Hubby K even commented on how nice I looked. So, that helped my confidence a LOT, but in no ways prepared me for THIS!
So, the meeting is at a girl's house in one of the upperscale Inside the Beltline (read here - the old money houses). She lives with her parents, the email said park on the street. So I park O'Malley, my 2000 Chevy Malibu, and there are two girls in front of me talking and walking up the hill to the house.
Me: Hey Y'all!
Them: NOTHING (hmmm...interesting. Maybe they didn't hear me.)
So we get up to the house. Very nice one-story brick, probably around 3,000 square feet. The other girls just went on in. Me, being not so sure about all this, rings the doorbell. Someone waves for me to come in.
So, I walk into the living room. There were like 15 girls there, all talking in little cliques.
Me: Hey Y'all!
Them: Nothing
Then, the girl who's in charge of the project (we had nametags, and her name is one of those one of a kind names), walks over towards where I'm sitting. I look at her and smile. She turns and walks past me to introduce herself to this other girl who missed the first meeting. What. The. World.
By this point, I'm getting pretty ill, and I'm super uncomfortable, and my bitter heart about the whole project has returned. The meeting was torture. Hated it. Loathed it. I may not be perfect, but I am a nice person. I may be on the chunky side, but I have manners. The only ones there who seemed happy to see me there or even were welecoming were the 2 pugs, a yellow lab, and a boxer who stayed near me the whole evening (until they were bannished outside again).
How awful is that? Only the dogs were nice to me? From listening to conversations, I know a lot of the girls already knew each other and had for years. But that is no excuse to be rude.
Back home, people welcome everyone. We're talking about throwing up fingers when you're driving around crazy insane curves (if you've ever seen it -- you know the wave I'm talking about). In my entire life, I've never felt so unwanted in a group. Not even the awkward teenage years where I felt like an outcast...even then, people would TALK to me. And - since I'd never met these ladies, I know there was no way I could've done something to make them mad.
If we had not had one of the random Color Group email chains Thursday night & all day yesterday, I'd probably just quit. I'm not a quiter...I tough things out. The girls in my Color group have taught me that not EVERYONE in the Junior League is hateful and stuck up. I also know about 20-30 actives who are just as nice as can be.
Wrapping things up --- April 4th and the Spring Project event itself can not come soon enough. I'll tough it out until then. AND...if after the next meeting no one talks to me -- I refuse to drive home in tears again wondering what is wrong with *me*.....there is nothing *wrong* with me, it's them....oh well, the puppies liked me!
Saturday, March 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I'm not one to starting something and then quit, but if I were you I don't think I'd put myself through this again. These ladies obviously don't have manners. I just hate hearing how all this went down.
ReplyDeleteThinking of you,
t
Oh B, my heart is just aching for you right now. I always feel the exact same way in situations with strangers...but for them to treat you like that is just WRONG! You are a much stronger person than I am. I wouldn't have been able to handle that with as much Grace as you did.
ReplyDeleteBe strong because you are SO much better than they are!!!
{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}
Robin :o)
Oh, and growing up in Alabama....I totally know what you mean about the "finger wave" thing! LOL!
I hate that for you! Some people have no class. I don't care how much money they have!
ReplyDeleteShe still lives with her parents? Sounds to me like she's the one with the problem.
Hope the next meeting goes much better!
Tara & Robin -- thanks for your encouragement. I've decided I'm going to do what I *have* to do, and remember that this group of 10 or 11 girls doesn't erase the 20 great girls in my color group or the other 25 people I know who are actives. I'll get through this project and pray I don't bump into them again!
ReplyDeleteY'all are the best!
You are tough and have inspired me. I would have probably quit :)
ReplyDeleteWhat horrible people! I would feel the same way you do. I hate when people act that way!!
ReplyDeletePffft. I'm joining the Jr. League here in Chicago where everyone is nice....but I'll make doubly sure I'm sweet to everyone. Tell those "ladies" to get some class!
ReplyDeleteI wish there was a yellow lab to comfort me at my JL meetings!
ReplyDelete*Laugh*
-E