Thursday, October 8, 2009

And all...that...JAZZ!

Goodness to gracious, I've gotten slack about posting again *tsk tsk*


Last weekend I did something that hasn't happened in YEARS. I took off with my mother for a little *just us* time.

The older I get, the more I admire, respect, and love my mother (trust me, the teen years were AWFUL!)

So, where did we go on our little 4-day girl adventure? To what's now my favorite "Northern" city (Charleston, my dear, I know it's been 9 years since were together, but I've not forsaken you!)...CHICAGO!

I really didn't know that it was possible for this girl who grew up in the mountains of NC (who cares that I've been in the Raleigh area for 12 years -- there are still a LOT of mountain girl traits left) to love a booming huge city north of the Mason-Dixon line.

Flying into O'Hare, I was giddy seeing the way the city curves around Lake Michigan and all the tall buildings.

Driving to our hotel in the shuttle bus (another experience!) on Michigan Ave -- right smack dab in the middle of the Miracle Mile -- I ooohed and aaahhed over the transition from the 'burbs to mega-city. The buildings were all so HUGE and INDIVIDUAL and AMAZING!

Of course we did a lot of "shopping"(read here: look at everything) and I was blown away by the two Macy's that were huge & multiple stories. Navy Pier was so peaceful and beautiful in the early morning. The Art Museum transported me to a million different places through the creative genius of a zillion artists. There is something indescribable about seeing in person the work you've seen in a book -- we spent tons of time in the impressionists exhibit. There was even a trip to the American Girl store (one word -- woah!)

Here are a couple of highlights
- We had a good time; no arguments or disagreements (this is major)
- Daley Plaza Olympic Announcement: We were there, got our t-shirts and went to explore the city more before the "official" announcement. I'm sad they didn't get them...how cool would it have been to return in 2016 (or watch on television) and know we were there when the announcement was made?
- The city is CLEAN (this surprised me...actual words: "I didn't even see a roach!)
- The architecture is breathtaking, innovating and cutting-edge
- The Sears Tower is tall...REALLY tall
- If I weighed 20 lbs less (or down a solid size....) I would have been able to blow $10,000 without ever thinking about it.
- Solder Field is BEAUTIFUL! (DA BEARS!)
- I'd googled a gluten-free deep dish pizza & found it! After eating, learned that it had BEAT Bobby Flay on a throw-down & the Deen Brothers raved about it.
-I'm the worlds worst about taking pictures...absolutely the WORST!

Of course there were a few regrets...
- Not seeing Oprah's show taped (or more specifically,going to the "Favorite Things" episode)
- Didn't get to see the Cubs play (or even see Wrigley Field)
- Didn't do the architectural tour
- Didn't do a boat tour

What does that mean?

That I've GOT to go back!!!!


~~~
Tonight we're off to see "Grease" w/ Taylor Hicks for K'-dawg's birthday; tomorrow we're celebrating with friends; Saturday is the NCSU/Duke Football game. I love this crazy life we live!

4 comments:

  1. How fun! I haven't been to Chicago and really never had a desire but reading your post intrigues me. Of course, I'm amazed by skyscrapers in most cities. Even like looking at the ones in Raleigh....yeah, I know I'm weird!

    Hope you are having a blast at the Grease show. I wanted to see Jersey Boys so badly until I researched ticket prices. Then I decided I didn't want to see it THAT much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been to O'hare, but only long enough to catch another flight out. Sounds like you had a great trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE Chicago. Went to college there. So jealous of your trip. Sounds fab. I used to have add a beads too and I teethed on my grandmother's gold bangles (my mother still wears)! xoxo

    SC

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have only been to Chicago twice and that was to the airport. So, I saw NONE of Chicago. It sounds like a lot of fun! Glad that you ejoyed your trip!

    ReplyDelete

Y'all are the best! If you'd like, leave me a little love below.