
So, this week, downtown Raleigh has been over ran with the "official dress" brigade. Country has come to town in a big way -- the NC FFA Convention is being held at the new Raleigh Convention Center. Not only that, the mayor has renamed Fayetteville Street Mall (kind of a big deal to us locals) FFA Way. Too flippin' cool!
Do you have any idea the impression that a ton of high school students, all decked out in their Official Dress, taking over downtown Raleigh is? They are buzzing around everywhere, gathering together with others across the state with the same interests, making new friends, and the memories of a lifetime.
I probably should preface this by saying yes, I was in FFA in High School. No, our FFA wasn't active. We came to the State Fair, the Farm Show, and had a big picnic/day at Stone Mtn. State Park. That was about it. And, Daddy wouldn't let me go to the State Fair or Farm Show with our Chapter (not really sure why not -- other than he wanted us to steer clear of Ag & spending 8 hrs on a bus wasn't the best way for his little girl to spend the day). Yep -- I only went to the picnic & meetings at our school. Didn't really know that there was more to it, other than Camp (which, I didn't go to either).
Welcome to College! I met tons and tons of people who not only were in FFA, but they lived, breathed, and would've died FFA. Several were State Officers,and many are now Ag. teachers themselves. (Yes, it makes me feel OLD to know the teachers and not the students)!
So, S & I were invited to a reception this evening (yes, we're cool like that). Not only did we score rock star parking at the Convention Center, but I got to see TONS of people I've not seen in a coon's age and scored tons of hugs! Cases in point:
- Sorority sister (who just had a baby not that long ago & looks amazing)
- Former Sorority Formal Date (who was always just a friend)
- 2 friends made during our big event in April
- My first "little" in the Sorority (I had 2)
- People I know from my career (although I went on ME time, it was still good to see them)
- Tons of other people I waved at but didn't get to speak to
- One of my best boy friends from college (and a bluegrass superstar in my book). We had a long history as friends (LOTS of memories made together,LOTS). He and Sissy L dated for a period of time after I'd known him 3 or so years, and after the break-up, loyailty to Sissy made him pretty much dead to me. To heck with the friendship, my sister is more important! It was nice to catch up with him, inquire about each others families, etc. I hadn't talked to him in years until this past State Fair, so it was nice to catch up for more than just a minute. Amazing how time can heal things.
However, I DIDN'T see my Sissy....and she's there. Between her herding her blue jackets and doing important stuff like making sure they eat dinner, we missed each other with the exception of a few texts and a super short phone call. I'm going to try to get up with her tomorrow...she's too close to not track down!!
FFA is a great organization...and to quote a T-Shirt from my college days...
NAKED & HUNGRY
What would you be without Agriculture?
What would you be without Agriculture?

LOL that reminded of the poster we had up in our room at college.
ReplyDelete"You can take a horticulture, but you can't make her think."
Seeing old friends is always wonderful.