Saturday, March 21, 2009

Twilight Madness

I read the books (all four).
I saw the movie (just once).

However, nothing prepared me (and I mean nothing) for the insanity that was the DVD Release Party at the Borders in Cary!

We had plans with our Small Group from church to have dinner and select our next study. Hubby K went straight to the restaurant after work, so I met him there. We finished about 9, and the *party* started at 10. So, I headed over to Borders (by myself, but was going to met a friend and another friend with 4 preteen girls).

I know the books were entertaining, highly addictive quick reads with great character development. I have friends who enjoyed it MUCH more than I did, that it spoke to something deep within them, and while that's cool, it didn't happen to me (but I bet they wouldn't get the high out of a Max Lucado book that I do either). We're designed differently, we all like different things, and that's a big part of what makes life so interesting.

The manager at the Borders was super rude, and you could tell he was so not excited about having *his* store overran with hormonal women, teens, and a few good boyfriends & dads. He was downright hateful. There were 4 women who had been there since 8:00 pm to get their DVD (their kids didn't seem nearly as excited as mom to be there) and I thought they were going to FIGHT with the store manager when he told them that the store only had 45 copies available for sale and it would be a lottery system to see who got them. They got super huffy.

What rhymes with *huffy*? That's right *PUFFY*! Girls had made their own puffy paint t-shirts. Did anyone else know they still made puffy paint? I didn't.

So we all lined up like a herd of cattle (in a quasi straight line) to *draw* a number from a brown bag. You could tell when a girl got a number by the *SQUEES*. So, we had to get a number so S could get her video (she's the biggest Twilight'er I know)....and after all 7 of us drew our numbers, we had 2 guaranteed DVDs and 2 *probably* DVD tickets. So, we gave out the other three tickets to people standing in line. It was like being the *Twilight Fairy* -- which, by the way, was better than Santa last night.

The highlight of the evening was this group of 4 mid to late 20'ers who dressed as characters. They looked the part and were having a blast. They let the girls take pictures with them. The best was a guy dressed as Edward. Not because he looked the most realistic, but because he was a dude - dressed as a teens fantasy.

And, we helped my friend's daughter win stickers with real vampire trivia. Yeah, I know NOTHING about vampires (except they scare me)...but Mr. Blackberry does! We only missed two, and that's because the manager was a punk who wanted correct spelling on stuff. My inner nerd LOVED the competitive nature of trying to beat a bunch of little girls at a trivia game.

There was also a magician-- they are not as cool when you can see their *tricks*....but entertaining none the less!

So yes, I was at a DVD release party and did not buy a DVD. Made it home to watch a little bit of basketball, check brackets & go to bed. If you got your copy last night or this morning...enjoy! While you're indulging in your Twilight guilty pleasure...I'll be overdosing on more basketball. We all have our vices!

4 comments:

  1. Amen sister! Basketball for me too! Too bad the ACC is stinking it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were brave! Amy said that yawl should have came to N Raleigh. She had a blast & got numbered bracelets as they arrived. They had 60 special edition DVDs & plenty more regular ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sent hubby out early this morning to pick up my copy from Kroger. We were going to go to our local Border's for their DVD party last night, but decided against it. Sounds like maybe it was for the best!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tara -- if it wasn't for an undying loyalty to the ACC, I'd only have 2 losses in my brackets! At least both sets of boys in blue are still in the running...don't tell Mr. Wuf, but I have UNC going all the way!

    Dwayne -- Amy lucked out! Don't let her watch the movie *too* much..you need to be on the Wii! And...I'm glad we now have your Wii people - they are too cute!

    Tara Lynn -- Yep, sending hubby to Kroger was a good idea. Hope you're enjoying all the deleted scenes!

    ReplyDelete

Y'all are the best! If you'd like, leave me a little love below.