Monday, January 5, 2009

Starbucks Free....Day 5

Starbucks is evil. It poisons us into thinking it's ooey-gooey-goodness is crack. We must have it - our bodies crave it- AND....they put a DRIVE THRU on every corner!

For years I could resist and use this Starcrack as a special treat. Then, they went and added one right on my way to work. A once or twice a quarter trip turned into at least once-weekly habit. HELLO POVERTY AND EMPTY CALORIES!! (Random FYI -- I read somewhere that a Grande Latte has up to 4 tablespoons of sugar. Momma D will willingly buy me a latte, but wouldn't let me have Sugar Pops when I was a kid...what's the logic in that?!?!)

To curb this habit, I've brewed my coffee at home the last 5 days. Today was the toughest to resist the pull of the Starcrack. First time driving past -- I swear, I could SMELL the ooey-gooey-goodness at the stoplight! But I resisted-- GO ME!!

Cost savings per week (assuming 3 trips to Starcrack, which is about what it was before the Holidays):

Starbucks: 3 trips per week @ $4.10 a shot x 4 weeks in a month = $49.20
Calories THROUGH THE ROOF

Cuisinart Grind & Brew at Home
: Total: $14.29 for probably 6 weeks worth
1 HUGE box of Sweet & Low - $2.95
1 HUGE carton of Fat Free Half & Half - $2.35
1 lb Trader Joe's Gingerbread Coffee - $7.99
Filters (for the heck of it) - $1.00
1 HUGE Skim
Calories about 20/day

So, if you follow the logic....brewing coffee at home should make me skinner in the pants and fatter in the wallet.

I wonder just how long I can avoid the sirens call of the Starcrack?...

1 comment:

  1. Starcrack loves me. It stays with me and holds onto my hips and thighs with all its might.

    I started brewing at home over the holiday....and so far, so good...just gives me more excuses to buy loverly travel coffee mugs....HA....like I need an excuse.

    I now have about $50 in Starcrack giftcards and I am trying so hard to get actual coffee with splenda and skim when I go instead of the yummy latte I crave....we can do this!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Y'all are the best! If you'd like, leave me a little love below.